What makes a birthday celebration memorable? Is it the large cake? Or the large turn-around of gifts and guests? Or is it the wonderful and meaningful memories created? All of those things make a birthday celebration memorable. Capturing and making it alive for years to come will make it worth the smiles and the laughs worth remembering forever.
A photoshoot is a must for every birthday celebration, for starters, it doesn’t have to be expensive and star-studded. With a great concept and some flashy ideas, you can do a birthday photoshoot that looks professional and vibrant. The tricks in bending lights and photo effects that would make a photoshoot look like a centerfold can be attained with a few tweaks and some camera magic.
Getting perfect quality photos can be a challenge and you can’t buy them at a candy store. Photographer’s skills will come into play with their every click that would capture all the moments into a single shot that will make it a part of history. We know that you are excited and can’t wait to make your pose for your birthday photoshoot. We can’t wait to see you perform your favorite pose and post it on your account.
How much does it cost to do a birthday photoshoot?
Do you need to have a photoshoot? In case you haven’t realized it yet, photoshoots are not only for actors and actresses. You can also pose and take some photoshoots on your birthday or on any occasion that you see it fit. Just be comfortable with it and everything will just turn out fine. You only have one birthday in a year. We suggest that you do the best you could about it and have a blast.
If what’s troubling you is the cost of having a professional photographer to get your photos, you don’t need to trouble yourself that much. You may opt to just get your photos yourself but you know exactly how it will turn out. And besides, it is your day, stop thinking of what is going to happen and just soak at the moment. Getting the services of a professional photographer would not leave you in financial ruin.
A photographer charges around $25 to $500 an hour. It would depend on the skills and the “brand” of the photographer. When we say “brand”, we are referring to his or her reputation as a “camera guy”. An amateur would charge less compared to a professional. While a “very professional” “camera guy” would charge exuberant and high fees. It is like wine, the older they get the more expensive they become.
Let us continue, a photographer charges you for a minimum of 2 hours. Just to give you a more concrete example, in a wedding, a photographer may charge between $1,000 to $3,000 for 6 hours. But we are not doing weddings, we are doing birthday photoshoots, so the price would be reduced quite significantly. There are low-end photographers, average photographers, and high-end photographers.
A photographer would get all the best angles and shots and would delve into the right moment to get that perfect shot. They have a perfect understanding of what the client wants. A photographer would bring with them their stuff and their gadgets just to get that picture-perfect moment to be trapped in a picture. After a tiring session, they would be spending hours of photoshop to get the best-looking photo.
When you want something that is of excellent quality, it is needless to say that you need to shell out a couple of bucks for it. You can always do the photos yourself but come on, it is your birthday, it is not a random field event that you can just take your phone and point and click as much as your heart wants. Your birthday is special and so are you, spare a bit of cash for the wonderful memories that will be going to take place.
Categories of photographers
Photographers can be classified. Their rates also differ since they are not of the same level and offer a different degree of proficiency in getting shots. You need to understand that a professional would charge higher compared to an amateur, and a semi-pro would charge differently compared to a student and hobbyist. For a more detailed discussion, let us have a look a this.
- A hobbyist charges less than $50 an hour and would charge about $10 to $25 on an image. This category is for people who do it on a sideline basis and did not undergo formal photography training, techniques, and best practices. They could be your drinking buddies, your fellow club member, or your regular fishing partner type of guy.
- An amateur charges $25 to $100 an hour and would charge $25 to $50 on an image. These are the start-up guys. They are building up their online portfolio and have experience seeing images of clients. They haven’t attended any formal training on professional photography and they offer a little bit low price.
- A student charges $50 to $100 an hour and would charge $25 to $100 on an image. These guys may have experience apprenticeship with a professional photographer and have taken up units in photography and media classes in college.
- A semi-pro charges $75 to $150 an hour and would charge $50 to $150 on an image. Most of these guys are part-time photographers with education in the photography field and have more than one year of photography-related work experience.
- A professional charges $100 to $300 an hour and would charge $75 to $350 on an image. These are full-time guys, have an extensive portfolio, strong photography skills, and have been doing photography for several years.
- A top professional charge $200 to $500 an hour and would charge $400 to $1,000 and more on an image. These are the “go-to” photographers of magazines, advertising companies, and film industries.
We hope that it helps clear some points on how much you would need to spend on a photographer.
How should I pose for my birthday photoshoot?
Posing for your birthday photoshoot is technically not that very challenging. Since it’s your birthday, nobody could tell you what to do and how you should pose for your birthday photoshoot. It’s not like a modeling photoshoot where a director would yell at the top of their lungs to do this and do that. You are perfectly fine with whatever pose you are going to do. Here are some suggestions you might want to consider:
- You can be dramatic by dimming the lights and use a candle for more effects and drama.
- You can carry your cake and show it to people
- You can carry your cake and blow it with your eyes closed
- You can put some cupcakes with happy birthday letters on top of it and some candles and pretend you look surprised.
- Put a lot of balloons at the back, with a lighted happy birthday sign and pose like Greta Garbo
- Hug assorted colors set of balloons and put on your best smile like Anne Hathaway
- Close your eyes and pretend that you are making a wish
- Pose a sexy Catherine Zeta-Jones look and have it in black and white
- You can look from afar, wearing a tiara.
- Cross the street with lots of balloons that match your OOTD
- Sit sexy in your bed and wear your birthday dress
- Place the date on top of the photo and pose like a movie teaser, it could generate a lot of likes and thumbs up.
- Shoot your photo with your partner, like your partner is going to whisper something.
- You can set up a picnic-themed photoshoot with lots of trees and grass and everything in between
- Get a lot of little lights to create a firefly-like effect and put your sexiest facial expression
- Wear your birthday hat while carrying your cake with tinsel in the background
How to take good birthday pictures?
A piece of advice when trying to get good photos for birthdays, mostly it is done indoors. We recommend using an ISO setting of at least 400-800. Refrain from getting any higher because the pictures will tend to get grainy and stuff. The shutter speeds play a vital role in this scenario. Set the shutter speed to at least 1/125th of a second to keep pictures crisp and sharp.
Children in most cases moved quickly and do unexpected things. The camera flash can be used to illuminate the face of the children, but care should be exercise always in over-using it. There is a tendency for flash images will look harsh, unnatural, and over-exposed.
Birthday photoshoot ideas for babies
Parents are proud to take their babies for a photoshoot. Birthdays are intended to be memorable and fun. When babies celebrate their birthdays they are the cutest and the most adorable thing in the whole world. Being to capture every moment is an important thing for parents. We understand that parents take great pride in showing the world how proud they are of their baby’s birthday.
- Babies are adorable, but they are not very patient. They are the set of the toughest customers to work with. You can get them to calm down with those toy numbers. Those toys can come in handy on this photoshoot. When they see things that are familiar to them it can help them to remain calm and relaxed. It wouldn’t be nice if you take pictures that would make them appear uneasy and scared. You want to see them instantaneously get that infectious laugh and smile. Those are just priceless.
- Bring everybody together, babies would love to see their siblings, their cousins, and friends. Make them to friendly with each other. This will help the babies to feel free, easy, and playful. It can be a great way of showing love amongst family members.
- If you are a sporty kind of family, you can wear a sports uniform, it could be a basketball-themed party or a baseball-themed party you can even make the decorations that jive with your sports theme. Imagine your baby is in uniform and your MVP. This one great theme.
- Get your baby to taste his first birthday cake, and when his face is already messy. Get that perfect shot. The icing and all sorts of mess would look adorable. Imagine cake sticking on your baby’s lips, face, fingers, and where ever. It is going to be fun.
- Babies love bubbles. Create a lot of bubbles and soak your baby at that moment. Get that shot and it’s done. You just don’t have the slightest idea how wonderful it would look.
- Fill your baby’s crib with balloons of different colors. Put your baby inside and see them have a blast of a lifetime. Just make sure that you get all those popped balloons. Colored balloons and babies just go well together. You’ll never get wrong with balloons as a theme for baby photoshoots.
- Get all the toys in one place and your baby will instantly become the star of the show. Stuffed animals, trains, dolls, and everything that your baby loves. It would look great as it would make your baby smile in an instant. Don’t you just love that moment? Your baby’s facial expression is priceless.
You can never get enough birthday photoshoot ideas. Your creativity is limitless, your imagination can take you to places that would look great when viewed at the back of a camera lens. Considering factors like hiring the photographer you can find and afford could spell a lot of difference for birthday photoshoots. We have given you a clear idea of how much a certain level of photographer charges for their skills.
Photoshoots, whether indoors or outdoors can be quite fun and memorable. The most important thing is that everything you are going to do must be enjoyable and interesting. Don’t be pressured, don’t stress yourself out, and most of all try to maintain that fun vibe because anything that is done without fun usually doesn’t look good. Be as natural as you can and be ready for that ultimate birthday photoshoot.